Crotta Great House
Associated families: Ponsonby; Carrique-Ponsonby; Julian; Beale Browne.
Features:A mansion of 2 storeys and abasement, Crotta had 7 bays and 2 projecting wings of one bay each. It was a gable-ended house, with steep, forward facing gables on the front end projections. There was a lunette window on the centre gable over three bays .Some alterations were made to the house in 1819, from plans drawn by Sir Richard Morrison, which gave the building a more Elizabethan look with tall chimneys and coat of arms on the two side gables. A porch was added in the same genre. The estate was heavily wooded with oak and other magnificent trees.
History:Crotta was built in 1669 by one of the Ponsonby's: Captain Ponsonby died here in 1681.
In 1705 Rose Ponsonby, heiress to the estate married John Carrique who assumed his wife's name as well as his own. The estate was sold by the Carrique-Ponsonby's in 1842. It was then held on lease from the chancery by Christopher Julian Esq. and occupied by his steward.
In 1850 the house was leased by its new owners to Lt. Colonel Kitchener whose son, Herbert, the future Earl of Khartoum, spent his boyhood here. From the age of 4 to 16 he was taught in the area before going to Switzerland to finish his education. In 1863 the estate was purchased by Thomas Beale Browne who later sold it to the land commission. Crotta was still standing up to the 1970's but little remains now except some stone walls and part of the stableyard.
(From Houses of Kerry by Valerie Barry.)